budgets

Time-Based and Overall Budgets in your Free Purchase Order Software

Hanna is the Purchasing Manager at a construction company in California and asked about setting up budgets for her departments and jobs…

“When a department buys something, like a computer or office supplies for example, it goes against their monthly budget but when we buy something for one of our jobs, the budget can span several months in some cases.”

No problem Hanna, you can track both “time-based” and “overall” budgets in SpendMap.

For your time-based budgets, you would typically allocate funds by month, quarter or year but when you allocate an overall budget to a project or a job, that budget will be available for the life of the project, regardless of how long that takes.

Theoretically an individual Cost Center (department, project, job, etc.) could have both time-based budgets and an overall budgets but that’s pretty unusual.  Typically it’s one or the other.

You can enter both time-based and overall budgets in the Cost Center Master File…

Budgets in Purchase Order Software

Budget threshold warning in your Free Purchase Order Software

We added a new feature in v14 of SpendMap that can help you stick to your budget by proactively warning you when you’re running out of money.

In Cost Center History/Budget Settings, you can establish the “budget threshold”.  For example, you might want to be warned once you’re down to, say, 20% of the budget remaining (i.e. 80% budget consumed).

While entering new POs, the hyperlink that shows the total value of the order at the top of the Purchase Order Header Screen will change from green to yellow when the budget threshold has been reached.  Then the hyperlink will eventually change to red when there’s nothing left in the budget.

Budget warning on Purchase Order screen

TIP: Click through that hyperlink to see the full budget details.

On a related note, you can also prohibit/stop the processing of Purchase Orders and other documents that will exceed the budget, using the related options in Cost Center History/Budget Settings…

Budget settings in free Purchase Order Software

How rejected requisitions affect budgets in your free Purchase Order Software

David works at a government agency in Texas and was wondering why rejected requisitions still show as commitments to the cost center’s budget.

Based on the settings in the Requisitions and Approvals Module, rejected requisitions will stay in the budget temporarily because often the Requisitioner will modify and re-process the requisition (e.g. try again with a different item or otherwise clean up whatever the Approver didn’t like).  So SpendMap will keep the budget “reserved”, to avoid that part of the budget being picked up by someone else, and therefore reduce the chance that the original Requisitioner will be “out of budget” when they try again.

But if they don’t want to try again, they can either 1) delete/cancel the requisition, or 2) there is a setting to “auto-delete” rejected requisitions after a certain number of days, which will eliminate that additional step, or if the user just forgets to cancel the Requisition.  You can find that “auto-delete” setting in here…
– REQUISITIONS AND APPROVAL > Setup system > Miscellaneous settings

Reminder:  Users will see rejected requisitions the next time they go into their Requisition Work Area.  If you would like to be a bit more proactive, just enable this e-mail notification…

Rejected requisition email notification

Achieve Budget Compliance with Free Purchase Order Software

As a follow-up to the Success Story that we posted about Managed Care Systems last May, Eric was kind enough to send us this note…

Thanks for sharing, Eric!

Control spending to save money

Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 1:30 PM
To: SpendMap
Subject: Good news

The numbers are in for last year. Because of SpendMap, we were under budget for 2013 by approximately 30,000 dollars!

For the past 5 years, we were over budget every year, by significant amounts.

Just wanted to share the great news with you.

Eric Jeffers
MCS, LLC